Twenty Tips for a Positive Life
Feb 29, 2012 12:51PM
By Diane Lang
Life: We often make it much harder then it needs to be. There are, however, many simple things we can do each day to make our lives fuller and richer. We can begin, simply, by living a positive lifestyle, a very attainable and realistic goal. Here then are some easy ways to bring happiness into your daily life.
- See the glass half-full rather than half-empty; change your perspective or view, and the world changes with you
- Wake up each morning with a “gratitude check.” Take the first few minutes of each day to appreciate all the good in your life: the sun shining, a roof over your head, food to eat, clean water to drink, fresh air to breathe, good friends to talk to. There is always something to be grateful for—the key is reminding yourself what these are!
- Go with the flow: Try to do at least one thing each day that you love so that life just flows for that time. It could be ten minutes or a few hours; just add flow into your daily life.
- Make sure your basic needs are met. Are you drinking enough water each day to stay adequately hydrated? Are you getting enough sleep? Eating well and exercising? Our state of mind depends on our basic needs being met. Make your health a priority, and good things will naturally follow.
- Show love. It can be as simple as giving a hug or kiss, holding someone’s hand, or patting someone’s shoulder. Simple, heartfelt touch does matter. And remember to thank those who deserve your gratitude and apologize to those you may have hurt.
- Be an active listener. Try not to interrupt, be patient, and let the person speak before you respond. By pausing before answering someone, you have a chance to summarize what they’ve said and ask questions if needed.
- Be an empathic listener. Put yourself in the speaker’s place and imagine how he or she is feeling.
- Do what you love by having a career, not just a job.
- Smile, laugh, spread joy: All are contagious!
- Step outside your comfort zone by taking a small risk every day.
- Add variety to your day. Even just taking a new route to work or trying a new food or drink adds zest to life.
- Learn something new every day, whether it’s from informal discussions with friends or reading newspapers, books, or magazines.
- Stay in touch with your friends and family.
- Visualize your dreams every day. If you can’t see them, you will have trouble attaining them.
- Take a vacation to refuel and refresh. Vacations make us more productive and creative in both our personal and professional lives.
- Be a great role model—you never know who’s watching!
- Pay it forward with random acts of kindness.
- Spend less time online and more time face to face with those you love.
- Learn to forgive and move on; the past offers us teachable moments, but we shouldn’t dwell in it.
- Live in the moment, plan for the future, work on what you can control and, if you can’t control it, let it go! (And always ask for help if you need it.)