May 31, 2013 11:56AM
How happy are you, on a scale of one to 10? I give myself pretty high marks, and I hope you do too. This month’s feature article focuses on finding happiness from the inside out and explains whymoney brings satisfaction, but not happiness. To attain happiness, research points to the need for four elements: positive emotion, relationships, meaning in life and accomplishments. Fortunately, simple things like writing down blessings that you are grateful for, connecting with others and celebrating your strengths on a daily basis can make a dramatic improvement in your sense of well-being.
The rest of the June issue suggests practical ways to improve your emotional outlook, build relationships and find meaning and accomplishment.
- If spending time with your pet or working out fulfills you, why not try both together? Find some great ideas in Dog Sports such as creating an obstacle course you both can enjoy, or dog yoga. The exercise and quality time make for happy, healthy people and pets.
- Exercise can also be a great bonding experience for children and adults. Clint Kelly suggests doubles tennis or a bicycle ride as great dad and daughter bonding activities.
- For building relationships, invite friends or a special date over for a perfect grilled meal. You will want to read Grow, Pick, Grill for innovative ways to prepare familiar foods, including seasonal fruits and vegetables. Visit a farmers market near you to get the freshest produce. Most are open in June (see our directory on pages32–33).
- In The Fatherhood Factor, you’ll learn how becoming a father changes a man’s values — and creates new opportunities for finding meaning in life.
- According to recent research, as well as ancient wisdom, colors can brighten our day, change our mood, and even treat some health conditions. Read Coloring Our World for some ideas on using color therapy.
Our calendar of events is chock full of activities this month, including two special ones: The New York Giants and NBC 4 New York are hosting an inaugural Health and Fitness Expo at MetLife Stadium on June 22 and 23. The expo offers a full lineup of events and exhibitions, including health screenings, family activities, and the opportunity to meet some favorite Giants players (see ad on page 3). The North Jersey Transformational Yoga Conference will be held on June 29 and 30 at Rutherford Hall in Allamuchy. They are offering 18 workshops by master yoga teachers. Everyone is welcome, whether beginner or advanced (see ad on page 4).
Summer is almost here – enjoy!